We are committed to keeping our families safe.
Our coalition supports:
- Following the recommendations of Governor Cooper’s Task Force for Racial Equity in Criminal Justice (TREC). The bipartisan Task Force recommends clear policies on, among others, use of force and the duty to intervene and report.
- Ensuring police officers have the support they need. At the core of improving public safety is looking at our complementary services. Improving community support systems, such as services for mental illness and substance abuse disorders, will reduce calls to the police.
- Investing in education and job training programs. Access for ALL to a quality education and to job opportunities is the foundation of a healthy, low-crime community. Fully funding our public schools will ensure that North Carolina teachers are paid fair, competitive wages. We support job training programs in every community, as well as Governor Cooper’s Finish Line Grants Program, Governor Cooper’s NC Job Ready initiative and investing in trade schools through community colleges.
- Reduce gun violence. Everyone should be free from the fear of gun violence. We support common sense gun safety laws including universal background checks and a “red flag” law that would allow petitioners to ask a judge to issue a gun violence restraining order to remove firearms from people found to be a risk to themselves or others.
- Strengthen communities. Making sure communities trust the officers serving them means making sure every voice is heard. Officers, community advocates, and elected leaders should have a seat at the table when making decisions affecting policing and dismantling systemic racism. We need to prioritize fair and equitable hiring practices and world class officer training.