Every child deserves quality education regardless of their zip code. Terri will fight for full funding for public schools and raising teacher pay to at least the national average.
As Senator, Joyce Krawiec has voted to underfund our schools – pushing North Carolina schools to 37th out of 50 states and keeping our teachers among the lowest paid in the country. She supports taking money away from public schools and giving that money to private schools through voucher programs that have been described as “poorly designed” and discriminatory. Terri LeGrand has a plan to make sure every child has access to a high quality public education.
As Senator, Terri will:
- Fully fund our schools. Every student deserves access to a quality education. Because North Carolina spends $3,692 less than the national average on students, it’s clear that Raleigh has not prioritized our schools. Terri LeGrand supports raising per pupil spending to at least the national average so North Carolina can fulfill its constitutional duty to provide a sound, basic education.
- Raise teacher pay to at least the national average. Our teachers are working two or more jobs just to make ends meet – all while spending roughly $500 out of pocket to make sure their students have classroom supplies. While Joyce Krawiec brags about raising teacher pay, teachers have said that her $350 bonus before taxes is not enough, and Governor Cooper described the pay raise as inadequate. Terri LeGrand supports fully funding our public schools so that teachers don’t have to spend their own hard-earned money to supply their classrooms, and wants to ensure that North Carolina teachers are paid fair, competitive wages.
- Ensure health and safety during COVID-19. Whether it’s K-12 or higher education, Terri believes that no student should be put at risk in order to get an education. As a Senator, Terri will ensure that students and educators have the resources they need to stay safe as students return to school.
- Fight for equity and equality. During Joyce Krawiec’s term in the North Carolina Senate, school segregation has worsened. The outcome of a student’s education should not be determined by the color of their skin or by their zip code. Terri LeGrand will fight to make sure every child receives the education they need and deserve to reach their full potential.
- Invest in higher education. As a local college administrator, Terri LeGrand knows what it takes to set students up for success. North Carolina’s community colleges and universities have a renowned reputation for excellence; however, due to inadequate investment, the cost to students continues to rise. More than 60% of college graduates in North Carolina have student loan debt, and the average student loan borrower in North Carolina owes more than $25,000. Terri will work to make post-secondary education more affordable.
- Make bold investments in job training and workforce development. Terri knows that college isn’t the path for everyone, which is why she supports job training programs in every community. Terri supports Governor Cooper’s Finish Line Grants Program, Governor Cooper’s NC Job Ready initiative and investing in trade schools through community colleges.
- Support the workers who support us. Cafeteria workers, bus drivers, custodians and other school support staff are critically underpaid. Terri supports paying all school employees a living wage with full benefits. No one working in our public schools should have to work two or more jobs just to put food on the table.
- Provide access to early childhood education. Early education is the foundation for the future of all children. Terri supports Governor Cooper’s North Carolina Early Childhood Advisory Council (NCECAC) and the NC Early Childhood Action Plan – which focuses on health, safety and success. One of Terri’s top priorities is ensuring that everyone has access to quality childcare, regardless of income. Terri will work to guarantee that infants and toddlers across the state have access to quality early care and learning programs.